Bee stings are a nasty affair that is extremely painful. Bees, while stinging, inject a poison or
venom into the skin of the individual they sting. A bee’s sting is different from that of wasp’s
in the matter that wasps after stinging withdraw their stings from the skin, which is not the
case with bees who leave behind a barbed sting after stinging a person. This barbed sting has
a venom sac that can inject poison for up to 3 minutes if it is not removed immediately. There
are a few people who are allergic to the bee sting and their allergic reaction to the sting is called
anaphylaxis. People who are not allergic to the bee sting will experience swelling, reddening
and itching in and of the affected area. These symptoms may last up to seven days. If there is
an allergic reaction then the swelling, itching and redness may spread to the entire body. Also,
people may experience some additional symptoms like nausea, dizziness, vomiting, imbalance
and diarrhea.

People suffering from the condition of anaphylaxis may face severe symptoms like respiratory
problems and their blood pressure levels may drop as well leading to a state of shock due to the
lack of timely medical intervention. An anaphylactic reaction worsens with time, thus time is
of essence in treating a bee sting. One of the first things that people should do when they are
stung by a bee is to move away from the area where they have been stung. People should then
immediately call an ambulance if they know that they are allergic to bee stings. Further, they
should watch closely whether they experience any of the symptoms described above in which
case they should get medical attention as fast as possible. Next, in case people are not allergic to
bee stings, they should try to remove the barbed sting from their skin. The sting would resemble
a small dot. For this, a pair of tweezers or a flat surface like a side of a credit card maybe used.
The faster the sting is removed, the less harmful the reaction would be.

For reducing the swelling, an ice pack may be kept on the area affected. The next step would
be to clean the wound and follow it with an application of hydrocortisone cream to reduce the
severity of the body’s allergic reaction. Alternatively, a paste of baking soda and water may be
used. Both the options work to break down the venom. People can also take an antihistamine and
apply lacto calamine lotion to reduce the swelling and itching.